Understanding the detailed information of a ticker on eToro
– The broker you should try to trade cryptos & US stocks. Learn more!
To decide whether you should buy a stock/crypto/commodity/…or not, you need to have an overview of its instrument by collecting related information first and performing some fundamental or technical analysis.
Luckily, all the basic information can be easily found on the eToro platform.
After clicking on a ticker, you will see the ticket’s screen like below:
Note: To help you better understand, we’ll be using Google (GOOG) to represent an example stock ticker throughout this post.
In the top left corner of the screen
You can find the most basic information of the stock ticker, including:
– Stock ticker, company’s name
– Current price, the price movement (compared to the opening price on the same day). For example, you look at the image example below.
The number of $11.58 represents a change amount between the opening and closing prices. More specifically, it means the closing price was $11.58 higher than the opening price (equivalent to a 0,44% increase).
In addition, color can be a helpful, quick indicator when it comes to understanding stock price changes. So for those able, here’s what to look for:
- Red usually indicates the security is trading at a lower price than the day before.
- Green typically means it’s trading higher.
- Blue and white can both be used to show the pricing is the same.
– Exchange, currency, and the market status (open or closed)
To open a new order, click on ‘Trade’ in the top right corner.
Besides, you also seek more information under 4 tabs: Feed, Stats, Chart, Research.
The default view (the Feed tab) shows you all the latest news and insightful discussions surrounding the instrument share price and its activity in general.
The Feed tab is designed with an interface similar to Facebook, in which you can share your thoughts about this asset and even comment on updates posted by other investors.
– On the left of the screen, the Stas screen displays the most important parameters such as:
- Prev Close: The closing price of the last session
- Market Cap: Market capitalization
- Day’s Range: The fluctuation of the price during the day (displayed through the highest and the lowest price)
- P/E Ratio: The ratio of stock price to earnings
- 52 Week Range: The fluctuation of the price during the 52-week period (displayed through the highest and the lowest price)
- Average Volume
- EPS: Earnings per share
- 1-Year Return: One-year rate of return on investment
- Dividend (Yield): dividend yield on stock price
Notes: These parameters are different among different assets. For instance, Bitcoin has a volume parameter instead of a P/E ratio
– On the right of the screen: Mountain chart, which shows the instrument’s growth.
– At the bottom: Basic information about the company includes a financial summary (income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement) and its profile.
Each financial instrument has its own chart, which is a valuable tool for tracking and analyzing its history and performance. Click ‘Chart’ to display a chart showing the movement of prices over the years.
The chart on eToro is quite flexible with a variety of useful tools. You’re able to change the period shown by zooming in and out.
This tab shows experts’ recommendations and advice for a given asset (buy, sell or hold) as well as their specific estimates for that asset’s price range.
The details are as below:
- Analyst Consensus
- Price Target
- Analyst Rating
- Hedge Fund Activities
- Insider Transaction
In fact, making an investment or trading decision is a big challenge for many people. However, you will have access to a compilation of accumulated knowledge shared by famous investors as well as experts from the world’s leading financial institutions with the “Research” tab. Hence, you can have more effective decisions.
However, investors need to fund into the eToro account to use the Research function.
Probably the best way to put all of this knowledge to use is to practice reading the stock ticker tape, which also gives you better trading orders. Good luck and happy trading!
eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptoassets, as well as trading CFDs.
Please note that CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 68% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Past performance is not an indication of future results. Trading history presented is less than 5 complete years and may not suffice as basis for investment decision.
Copy trading is a portfolio management service, provided by eToro (Europe) Ltd., which is authorised and regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission.
Cryptoasset investing is unregulated in some EU countries and the UK. No consumer protection. Your capital is at risk.
eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs and makes no representation and assumes no liability as to the accuracy or completeness of the content of this publication, which has been prepared by our partner utilizing publicly available non-entity specific information about eToro.
Read more: etoro