What is Investor Password MT4? How to change it?
– Get the 30$ trading bonus for FREE (No deposit required). Click here
The Investor Password is a unique feature of MT4. However, many haven’t understood its meaning and how to change it. In this article, we are going through how to create or reset the MT4 investor account.
What is the Investor Password?
There are always two password types for the MT4 trading account, namely Master password, and Investor Password. Each password gives us different permissions in the trading account:
- The Master password is to log into your account and trade. The master password enables traders all trading permissions. It means you can open/close trades, and change account settings.
- The Investor password is used by other users (third party) who you wish to share the account without giving permission to execute positions or change settings. They only can view trading activity. It is basically a ‘read only’ access.
So with an Investor password, you can simply let someone else enter your account and see your trades without worrying about them manipulating your own account.
What is MT4 Investor Password for?
The basic idea behind the Investor password is that it allows traders to share their trading results with friends, family, or potential investors without fear that these investors place trades or modify the account and platform in any way.
For additional income, traders can sell investor password access to their MT4 trading account. Others can buy it to gain access to open trades and copy them to their own accounts.
For others, using an investor account is safe and convenient. They can track the trading process on the given trading account in real-time. However, when connecting is the trade server’s address, the investor must either download the MT4 terminal from their broker or manually type in the server’s address.
How to find your MT4 investor password?
When you open an MT4 account with a Forex broker, they will usually generate an investor password for you. They are available in both the demo and live trading accounts.
The Investor passwords can be found in the following locations:
- It can be found in the Mailbox tab at the bottom of MetaTrader platform with the subject “New Account Registration” or something similar.
- Brokers may send it via email when you signed up for MT4 account.
Or if you cannot find the investor password, you can change it by yourself following the instruction below.
How do I change Investor password on MT4 PCs?
Only a trader who knows a master password can change the investor account password. Others cannot do it.
Once logged in to the platform with your master password, you can create an Investor Password by following these steps:
- Go to Tools > Options from the “Menu” bar on your MT4 platform
- Under the ‘Server’ tab, click on “Change”. A new popup window will be shown.
- Enter your master password in the “Current Password” field.
- Select “Change Investor (read only) password” checkbox.
- Then type in the desired investor password in the “New Password” field.
- Re-type the investor password in the “Confirm” field and click OK.
Note: The passwords must be at least five characters long and consist of at least two of the three character types – lowercase, uppercase, and digits.
How to change Investor password on MT4 mobile?
It is also possible to change the MT4 investor password on MT4 mobile. Below is the detailed guide on how to change the investor password via the Android or IOS apps.
Navigate to Settings, click on your current account on the top of the screen and click on the 3 dots to the right of your account name. Then select Change Password > Change Investor Password, type your current master password, and enter your new Investor password. Finally, confirm your new Investor password and click Change.
Navigate to Manage Accounts and sign in to the account for which you want to change the password. Then, on the top right, click the 3 dots and select Change Password, and once the password page appears, click the small grey arrow next to “Change Investor Password” and fill in the blanks.
Although in MT4 investor mode, the platform does not allow any trading operations. It means you are safe to share your investor secret phrase with others. However, it is recommended that you change your investor password periodically, especially if you often share it.
The danger is that intruders can make use of this password, attach your trading account to a third-party monitoring service and then pass it as their own. Of course, you’ll not lose your money but you can suffer certain reputational damage.
Read more: MT4